Travel and Registration Support
Travel and Student Registration Awards for FOCS 2017
Thanks to generous support from the National Science Foundation, there
will be a total of $15,000 to support
travel for FOCS 2017.
The NSF travel awards are available to US-based students and
postdoctoral fellows (airfare and shared hotel accommodation as well
as student registration) to fund around 20 attendees. Receipts will be
required for all travel awards. Reimbursement will be made after the
conference. Preference will be given to students who are FOCS 2017 authors.
Preference will be given to students who are FOCS 2017 authors.
To apply, email
the information listed below to
by August, 20 2017.
Please use the following subject line: "FOCS 2017 travel-registration
- Are you applying for a travel award, registration award, or
- Title of paper, if you are an author and whether you will be
presenting the paper.
- Whether you are a student or you are a postdoctoral fellow
- University name and country.
- Amount of other travel funds that are available to you.
accomplishments and interests in attending the conference.
- A short statement describing you academic standing and
interests, your expected graduation date and degree, advisor's name, and, if
available, a URL for a working Web page. Also indicate whether and when you
have attended previous major theory conferences (e.g. STOC and FOCS) and
whether or not you have received other travel awards to do so.
- (For students) a supporting statement from your advisor
confirming your status, recommending your attendance, and describing
availability of travel funds. This should be included in a message
with your name in the subject line which should
be e-mailed to the focs17.travel.award address above.
(Note: vague statements such as "funds
are tight" are not informative).
- The NSF encourage applications from members of
underrepresented groups for these awards.
(Optional) Please indicate if you are part of such a group or
at an institution that is not typically represented at IEEE
- If you are requesting travel support you
should submit a dollar estimate of the airfare/transportation
the conference and the number of nights you will be staying.
This information will be used to prioritize the awards (see the
prioritization for travel awards below). The awards will be
announced by August 26th. Late applications will not be
You should receive an email acknowledging your application within 3
weekdays. If not, please resubmit or contact the conference organizers by
some other means.
Priority for Travel Awards will be based on the following:
- Student authors and co-authors of accepted papers who do not have other
- Members of under-represented groups or from institutions not
represented at the conference who have research interests in areas covered
FOCS whose attendance would broaden participation at the conference.
- Student applicants whose statements and supporting information make
particularly cogent justification for the benefit they will receive from
attending the conference.
- Postdoctoral authors of accepted papers who do not have other
- First-time applicants and students who have not received travel stipends
to FOCS or STOC in the recent past.
- Financial need and stage in research career.